Dental Filling/ restoration
Dental filling is needed when the portion of tooth needs to be replaced.
- Dental caries-Dental caries or decay to a common man is those black spots on your teeth that you can see or those areas where the food gets stuck.
- Broken tooth- Fillings are done to repair a tooth that has been broken because of trauma.
- cosmetic fillings- in case of brown stains like in flourosis tooth colored fillings can mask the underlying brown or white stains .
- core buildup- restoring the part of tooth that has been removed for root canal treatment is a core buildup.
Types of dental filling
- Silver filling ( amalgam)
- Tooth colored fillings- (composite and gic)
- Indirect fillings (onlays and inlays)
Modern day dentistry has shifted from silver fillings( environmental concerns like release of mercury and black color has lead to decreased use) to more adhesive and aesthetic tooth colored fillings like composite and glass inomer restorations.
Composite restoration- These have good strength and beautiful aesthetics. It is very hard to distinguish between a natural tooth and the filling. these fillings are technique sensitive and do wonders in expert hands. They should be done ideally under rubber dam isolation for proper bond to tooth and longevity.
Glass inomer cements- these are flouride releasing tooth colored fillings which are generally preferred in children or long term temporary fillings.
Indirect fillings- these are fabricated in lab and cemented to the cavity of your tooth. They are highly aesthetic and have good strength.
Stepwise protocol of restoration is shown in the below image
This is a class 1 composite restoration done in our dental clinic of chandigarh
- Tooth that needs restoration is made numb depending on how deep your cavity is.
- Rubber dam is applied to isolate that tooth from oral caity saliva and to prevent chemicals to cause any damage to you tissues.
- under microscope only the decayed portion is removed conservatively without damaging healthy tissues.
- the cavity is cleaned and filled as shown
- rubber dam is removed and checked for any high points.
Post operative instructions
- Do not chew from that side till anaesthesia wears of to prevent biting on numb soft tissues.
- the beauty of composite restoration is that your tooth is ready to be used without having to wait for anything
if you have any high points on the filled teeth u should contact office.
Some case photographs
How do i know if i need a root canal or just a filling
well that depends on how much damage has been done to the tooth but there are some general guideline for you to make a guess what will you need. we will ask you some questions, perform some diagnostic tests or take an x ray to come to a definitive diagnosis on the problem when you see us in our dental clinic.
Here are some pointers
- If you have mild sensitivity to cold that subsided in a few secons(remember seconds not minutes) the this means there is still a chance that filling will be sufficient.
- if you have a lingering sensitivity to cold(lasts for more than 30 seconds to minutes ) and u have developed hot sensitivity this probably is not a gud sign. it indicated damage is more and it might be needing more than just a filling.
- if u already have had episodes of pain either on eating hot and cold or spontaneoulsly while you were asleep this means u definately will need a root canal.
the earlier you decide to intervene the easier and economical your dental treatment will be.
Remeber ‘dentistry is not expensive’ but ‘neglect is’…
click on the link to read about composite as a dental material.